The article describes how to build a WinPE-based bootable media. You might need to use a WinPE-based media to boot machines with specific hardware. For example, in case a Linux-based bootable media does not detect RAID arrays because RAID controllers use proprietary drivers and these cannot be integrated into a Linux-based bootable media.
Currently, Acronis Backup Cloud does not have the Bootable Media Builder component; it will be included in one of the next product versions. Meanwhile, use Acronis Backup 12 Bootable Media Builder.
To build a WinPE-based bootable media:
- Download Acronis Backup installer here and run it on a machine without an Acronis Backup Cloud Agent installed.
- Bootable Media Builder is part of Acronis Agent installation. Select Install a backup agent:
- Click Customize installation settings:
- Manually select components by clicking Change next to What to install:
- Select Bootable Media Builder only:
- Start installation.
- Start Bootable Media Builder. It is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\MediaBuilder\MediaBuilder.exe
- Click Next:
- Leave the first option selected and click Next:
- Select Windows ADK to install. We recommend using the latest version: click download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 (6.5GB):
- Run Windows ADK and close Bootable Media Builder:
- Select where to install Windows ADK and click Next:
- Make sure Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) are selected and click Install:
- Once the installation is completed, start Bootable Media Builder once again.
- In the Select the bootable media type to create step, select Create WinPE automatically:
- Optionally, add drivers for specific hardware. Add drivers for the hardware which is not detected by the Linux-based bootable media:
- Select the media output:
- Review all the options you have specified and click Proceed.
Additional reference: Acronis KB Article 59611: "How to create a WinPE-based bootable media"